Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chatting about Chatuchak

Today we hit Chatuchak (จตุจักร) markets. Although, when I say hit, I don't think we even left a mark, let alone made a dent on this place. It was certainly no knock-out blow.

If you're from Australia, and are used to places like Brisbane weekend markets, Eumundi markets on the Sunshine Coast, or even the old Paddy's Haymarket in Sydney, multiply that by about 10,000 and squeeze it into about the same space and you may have some notion of what this place is like.

We walked half the day and didn't see one quarter of what this place has. And it has everything.

Art, clothing, shoes both new and second-hand (second-foot?), bags, kitchenware, food, squirrels in bow ties and hats, puppies, pet paraphernalia, jewellery, trinkets, carvings, watches, phones, muay thai artifacts, and a life-size metal statue of the Predator. And that's just the bit that we saw.

Add to that 20 train-loads of people arriving every hour. It's a happening place. Always something happening.

I bought a colourful yellow shirt with a scene of Asian children playing in the water (see my photos on the home page), and a T-shirt with a chimp's face. I feel like I'm contributing positively to the Thai economy.

Oh, and I think I'm going to go with the apartment on Soi Nai Loet (the one next to the cloud). I'll let you know how I go.

D.

PS. Have set up a Thinglish Treasures pagefor your edification.

4 comments:

  1. A life-size metal statue of the Predator!? I need a photo of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent choice, Nai Lert! It's where Kirk stayed, lots of yummy food on Sukhumvit close by, and the JW Marriott brekkie :) bit weird about that Google cloud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop buying ugly shirts!!!!!!

    Miss you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Sas - it's a medical condition. If I see a cool shirt (translated into Dutch: ugly) I have to buy it. It's like CP and bags.

    Miss you too! Enjoy being Dutch again!

    ReplyDelete