Saturday, March 5, 2011

Living on the edge of the cloud

OK people, I'm trying to get this decision sorted in my head, so I thought if I shared it with my friends and family... They say a problem shared is a problem halved, so if I share it with the potential MILLIONS who read this blog, my problem will be so small I won't even know it's there. Seems logical to me.

Potential address No. 1


View Larger Map

According to Google, there's a giant cloud that has permanently descended on this part of Bangkok. No matter how much you zoom in, there it is. I didn't notice it when we were walking down the street, but my mind was on other things.

This is a lovely apartment. Fairly new, comes with modern appliances and furnishings, nice bathroom and kitchen, and there is a pool, spa, sauna and gym on the roof. THB27,000 per month. Very close to work, but not close to some of the other things that I might want to do on evenings and weekends - such as eat, shop, etc.

Potential address No. 2


View Larger Map

The problem with Light House apartments on Soi 22 is that, from what I gather, it's too far down the Soi, and you don't want to be walking that far to the BTS (train) in the middle of Bangkok's summer.

The apartment itself is great - not huge, but 1 bedroom, reasonable kitchen, tiny bathroom, and a close-up view of Soi 22's electrical cabling, should I ever want to take up a DIY course to become an electrician. It doesn't have a pool, but it does have a fitness room up six flights of stairs (no lift), which kind of does away with the need for a fitness room really, when you think about it.

The bonus with this one is that everything is already there and already included in the price - sheets, towels, crockery, cutlery, saucepans, wireless internet, and someone who will come and swap my sheets and towels for fresh ones twice a week. Hopefully not while I'm using them at the time.

"Tell us price" I hear you all chant as one. THB26,000 per month.

OK, so got that? Cheaper, more convenient in terms of stuff in the apartment, less convenient in terms of location, less fun in terms of stuff in the building.

Potential address No. 3


View Larger Map

Welcome to Soi 26. This was the pick of the bunch in terms of apartment.

It's large - the separate bedroom has a desk and work area - the décor is a lovely French colonial style with chandeliers and the bathroom is a good size. The kitchen is it's downfall. Or it's lack of kitchen more precisely. I think there was one or two hot plates. That's it. It does have it's own washing machine though.

Also, it doesn't come with any crockery, cutlery, cooking implements, or linen. It has a lovely pool and gym, and a laundry room. Wireless internet is trés expensive.

It's very close to the BTS - walking distance if I really wanted to be crazy - and also to shopping centres, street food and restaurants.

All this could be mine for a mere THB28,000 each and every month.

So now you see what I'm working with, what do you think? I need some objective opinions. All comments graciously received.

Oh, and before you ask, I don't think any of them allowed pets, so I won't be rescuing any soi dogs and bringing them home.

D.

2 comments:

  1. Update: Been told that Soi 26 is THB30,000 not THB28,000. Strike 3 I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted no. three...apparently it didn't show! I blame your blog.
    G =]

    ReplyDelete