Saturday, March 12, 2011

The people in your neighbourhood

Today, walking not far from my apartment, I came across what I can only describe as slums. The unmistakable ramshackle homes, built one on top of the other, out of whatever wood, iron and other materials you can get your hands on.

I'm not sure I was ready for that.

I've seen the beggars on the street and the falling down empty buildings, but this was no remote village in the jungle or African dessert like we see on ads at home; this was a whole neighbourhood of people, existing in small single room shacks, just off a major arterial road, 10 minutes' walk from Sukhumvit - the main road through town.

Confronting. In the grand scheme of all that's in Asia, I'm sure it's a drop in the ocean, and not really all that bad in terms of having shelter and access to a means to make a living (the big city).

I'm sure Asia has many more sights to shock my delicate western sensibilities, but I'm still moved by this one.

D.

1 comment:

  1. Go back to the slums, and have a look a better look. Any suking teenagers? Sour housewives? Tantruming toddlers?? I'm betting not...

    ReplyDelete