Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Phuket shower experience

This is just a quick post to vent my frustration with the shower in my Phuket hotel room. I'm having trouble enjoying my showers here, and not for any of the reasons you're probably thinking someone might not enjoy a shower in Phuket.

I work in a team called User Experience and Innovation — part of our job is to take care of the little things that some people over-look until they're not there, or they don't work properly.

Like search and booking functions on a website, proper design and layout, and muffins on a Monday morning. You don't notice they ain't there until they ain't.

Well the shower in my room here Phuket — a lovely room by the pool, where they fold your towels into elephant shapes — is neither innovative, nor conducive to a pleasant user experience.

The shower head itself is fine — the general hand-held hose attachment you would use to easily apply water where it's needed. However the bracket that it is supposed to sit in to give you a worry-free and hands-free shower experience, makes the shower head point directly out at your face.

Even if you duck, or stand to one side of the shower head, the water then shoots out past your head, against the back wall of the bathroom, soaking everything that gets in its path.

I haven't yet come up with a solution (no pun intended), besides holding the shower head under my arm, or turning the taps off every time I want to go hands-free.

I'd appreciate any tips from seasoned travellers who may have similar bad user experience in non-innovative showers.

And for those who are disappointed because you were expecting to see photos of me in the shower, these are for you.

D.


10 comments:

  1. It's not JUST your muffins we miss :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had the pleasure of using the Qantas lounge in BKK airport during a stopover from London to Melbourne. I decided to freshen up and the lounge looked like the perfect place. It mostly passed the visual design test. It failed in a few of the experience tests. The room was cold with air-con. The bathroom wasn't airconditioned and swelteringly hot and the showers there were built as a small cubicle with walls and a glass door that went full floor-to-ceiling - with little rubber seals to stop the water from getting out of the confined space via any method other than the drain. Unfortunately steam couldn't escape either - and after 30 seconds of a hot shower, I was choking in a thick white fog that prevented me from seeing the taps that would let the nightmare end.
    It also meant I couldn't see the door frame that cut my forehead as I fumbled to open the cubicle door - releasing a cloud of steam that instantly wet my fresh dry clothes - so that I could return to the chilling cold of the Qantas lounge: hot, wet, bleeding, and gasping for air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a bit rude Sarah, I don't look that fat in the photo do I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, really enjoyed your Bangkok shower experience story - thanks for sharing.

    I was looking forward to seeing your shower photos though...

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not fat - just a bit Laura Bingleish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hillsy have you been to Amorns. I'm not used to you in tailored pants and shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tailored? Kirk they are the beige jeans I got for $10 from Target, and the shirt is a Taro Cash special. Wait until I get to Hoi An, then you'll see tailored!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh the old shower fun in Phuket ;)

    For an entire year I never had a good shower - good in the sense of enjoyable, not good as in thorough!

    Our shower at home had two settings - scolding or cold. You might think cold is a good option in the Thailand heat but when you've been in "Thai" aircon all night which is set at 18 degrees then you might reconsider.

    My solutions for you are both pretty technical... 1) point it at the wall, or 2) put it on the floor of the shower. The wall option used to work for me except that if I opted for scolding then often the water would be dribbling over the tap so when I went to turn it off the taps would be mighty hot. The floor option has a downside, if the pressure is high then the hose acts like a snake and can whirl around and spray everywhere. You choose. Lose an eye or flood the bathroom? I vote for the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I think your shower photos are H-O-T

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey thanks Erin. Too bad you and Grant are not still here to show me the tricks of the trade in your old home town.

    I hadn't thought of just letting the shower hang loose, but I think you're right about the consequences. I'll definitely try the wall-facing solution next time.

    - Saskia, thanks Mrs Moon. Sorry I wasn't wearing the Pineapple Shirt for you, but I seem to have misplaced it ... :)

    ReplyDelete