Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bye, bye Miss American Thai

I went to a 1950s-style American Diner tonight. It had juke boxes, padded booths to sit in, and Elvis playing in the background.

If I were to use deductive logic, I should not have ordered from the Thai section of the menu. If you're at a Thai-themed restaurant in Bangkok and you order a cheeseburger with chilli fries, chances are it may not be the best you've eaten.

So by deduction, I could say that ordering Thai food at an American-themed restaurant touting large burgers and thick shakes would be a mistake.

Except that all the kitchen staff were Thai. I had a very nice chicken massaman curry.

I do need to learn some more essential Thai phrases though. For the second time in a week, I asked to look at the dessert menu and was brought the bill instead.

Or maybe I should stop wearing such tight-fitting shirts.

D.

PS. If I was running a 50s American joint, I probably wouldn't have the Asian Soccer League playing on the big screen. Just saying.

4 comments:

  1. I think your tight-fitting shirt must excited woman staff at there....haha
    Little tips when you'd like to have dessert...just telling them " menu khong warn (bit high tone) krub"
    khong warn = dessert :)
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember! Kong waaarrn. I taught Matt today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Senorita - I used my new Thai phrase tonight: "Menu kong warn, khup."

    It worked. Let me know if you ever need a reference as a Thai teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hillsy its probably because the international hand symbol for "menu please" and "bill please" are pretty much the same (if you're using the hand symbol which is like opening a book rather than the writing in mid-air variety).

    Also my rule of thumb when ordering is "what's shoved at the back". If the majority of the menu is Thai food, order Thai, if its burgers and pizza, order that.

    ReplyDelete